Prep 15 mins
Cook 50 mins
Haven't tried this but looks yummy and most of his recipes are.
- 6 medium oranges
- 1⁄3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 4 eggs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1⁄4 cups flour (high gluten preferred, such as bread flour)
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- Preheat oven to 350°F and oil a 9-inch round cake pan.
- Remove zest from all oranges and juice from one. Set fruit aside for another use.
- In a large mixing bowl with an electric mixer, beat eggs and salt together until frothy and light (about 2 minutes).
- Slowly add sugar while continuing to mix (about 2 more minutes).
- Sift the flour and baking soda together and gradually add to egg mixture. Mix about 1 more minute.
- In a side bowl, mix olive oil, citrus zest and juice. Using a spoon, stir this into the egg mixture, just folding until all inches.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and place in oven and bake 50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in center of cake comes out clean.
- Cool to room temperature, cut into wedges and serve.
I made this cake for my Dad who can't have butter. It is very moist and flavoursome and was enjoyed by all. Wasn't bitter but very orangy... maybe this hides the taste of the olive oil, which could otherwise be a little strong. Will make again.
This cake had a fantastic texture, but it turned out quite bitter. Maybe my oranges were too big, but we thought it would have been nicer with a bit less zest. Moist and flavourful though! Thanks MarraMamba!
Made in an 8-inch square pan instead of a round one. Wonderful flavor, wonderful texture, wonderful moistness. Perfecto!