Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
Just saw this on the Chew. Looks great, haven't tried it yet, posted for safekeeping.
- 4 cups water
- 3 cups chickpea flour
- 4 cups zucchini (grated, or 2 large Zucchini)
- olive oil (for deep frying)
- 1 lemon (cut into wedges)
- Place the zucchini in a colander and sprinkle with salt. Set aside for 15 minutes. Put the zucchini in a towel and wring out the liquid.
- Grease a baking sheet and place a sheet of wax paper or parchment paper on the bottom.
- Bring the water to a simmer over medium heat. Gradually pour in the chickpea flour while whisking constantly. Season with salt and pepper. Once all the flour is in, whisk rapidly until the mixture is thick and most of the lumps have been worked out, like a thick pancake batter, about 1 minute. Take care to adjust the heat to so the batter doesn't boil or it will become too thick. Stir in the zucchini.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared pan and smooth out with a small spatula. Refrigerate until cool, about 1 hour.
- In a heavy bottomed pot, add olive oil to the pan for deep frying. Heat to 370 degrees F.
- Flip the set chickpea mixture on to a cutting boards, peel off the paper and cut into fries (approximately 3 x 1/2 inches).
- Working in batches so as not to overcrowd the pan, add the fries. Cook 3 to 4 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove with a slotted utensil to a paper towel lined plate and season immediately with salt. Squeeze a few lemon halves over the fries and season with salt just before serving.