This is a typical Italian way of preparing vegetables, but Mario first had it in a little restaurant called La Capannina on the Isle of Capri, and so he thinks of it as Capri-style. The vegetables listed here are merely guidelines, use whatever is fresher and seasonal. Recipe is from Mario Batali's cookbook, "Italian Grill".
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano, crumbled
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon colman's dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon hot red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 grated orange, juice and zest of
- 2 small Japanese eggplants or 2 small italian eggplants
- 2 red bell peppers
- 2 yellow bell peppers
- 12 baby zucchini, with zucchini flowers or 4 small zucchini
- 2 medium red onions
- 6 scallions
- 12 spears pencil asparagus
- kosher salt
- 12 fresh basil leaves, cut into chiffonade (thin slivers)
- 1Preheat a gas grill or prepare a fire in a charcoal grill.
- 2In a small bowl, whisk together the vinegar, garlic, oregano, cumin, mustard, pepper flakes, olive oil, and orange juice (reserve the zest for garnish). Set aside.
- 3Cut the eggplant into 1/2-inch-thick slices. Cut the peppers into quarters and remove the cores and seeds. If using baby zucchini, remove the blossoms and set aside; cut the zucchini lengthwise in half. If using small zucchini, cut lengthwise into 1/4-inch-thick slices (discard the first and last slice from each). Cut the onions into 1/4-inch-thick rounds. Trim the scallions. Snap off the tough bottom parts of the asparagus stalks.
- 4Place the vegetables on two large baking sheets. Brush lightly with some of the marinade and season lightly with salt. Place on the grill over medium-high to high heat (you will probably have to cook the vegetables in batches) and cook, turning once or twice, until tender and slightly charred on both sides: the eggplant will take about 8 to 10 minutes, the peppers 10 to 12 minutes, the zucchini 6 to 8 minutes, the onions and scallions 4 to 6 minutes,and the asparagus 5 to 7 minutes. Remove each vegetable from the grill as it is done and return to the baking sheets.
- 5Cut the peppers into 1/2-inch-wide strips. Arrange the vegetables decoratively on a large serving platter and drizzle with the remaining marinade. Sprinkle with the orange zest, the zucchini blossoms if you have them, and the basil. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Browse Our Top < 30 Mins Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All < 30 Mins Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mario Batali's Capri-Style Grilled Vegetable Salad
Serving Size: 1 (876 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 362.2
- Calories from Fat 183
- Total Fat 20.4 g
- Saturated Fat 3.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 60.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 41.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 15.3 g
- Sugars 18.6 g
- Protein 11.5 g