Prep 40 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is from a menu for a Super Bowl party.
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 lb dry penne pasta
- 6 quarts water
- 1⁄4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium Spanish onion, finely chopped
- 12 ounces portabella mushrooms or 12 ounces button mushrooms, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup dry red wine
- 1 cup non-meat spaghetti sauce (Hunts or Classico)
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 lb fresh buffalo mozzarella, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- parmigiano-reggiano cheese, for topping
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Bring water to a boil in a large pot and add 2 Tbsp salt. Cook pasta 2 minutes fewer than the package directs. It should be too firm to eat.
- Drain and rinse under cold water until cool. Drain and put in a large bowl.
- Meanwhile, warm olive oil in a large skillet over high heat until smoking. Add onion and cook until light golden brown (5 minutes).
- Add mushrooms and cook until they have given off their water and it has evaporated (8 to 10 minutes).
- Add wine, spaghetti sauce, butter and salt and pepper to taste. Reduce heat to medium and cook until thickened (5 minutes).
- Add mushroom mixture to bowl with the pasta. Add mozzarella and mix together. Transfer pasta to a baking dish and top with grated Parmigano-Reggiano.
- Bake until bubbling and crusty on top (20 minutes).
This dish is delicious. I will warn that the prep takes more time than I would have thought. Cleaning, taking the gills off and dicing portobello mushrooms was more work than I would have liked. But, the dish was really wonderful. Even non vegetarians who want a meat, fish or chicken main course usually, loved it! It's worth the work but make sure everything is chopped and ready to go if you are as slow as I am.