Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This recipe is from Mario’s latest book Molto Gusto.
Make and share this Mario Batali’s Broccoli With Pecorino Romano recipe from Food.com.
- kosher salt
- 1 large bunch broccoli (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 1⁄2 cup coarsely grated pecorino romano cheese
- 2 tablespoons warm water
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- maldon salt or other flaky sea salt and fresh coarse ground black pepper
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and add 2 tablespoons kosher salt.
- Cut off the thick broccoli stalks, and cut the broccoli into 1-inch florets with about 1 inch of the tender stalks. Reserve the stalks for another use. Add the broccoli to the boiling water and blanch until crisp-tender, about 3 minutes; do not overcook. Drain in a colander and rinse under cold water to stop the cooking; drain well and pat dry.
- Put the pecorino in a large bowl and whisk in the warm water. Whisking constantly, slowly drizzle in the oil to make a loose emulsion. Add the broccoli and toss to coat. Season with Maldon salt, if necessary, and with pepper. Let stand for 30 minutes before serving.