Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
This recipe was modified from my favorite yellow relish recipe, to use only onions. Good to top hamburgers and salads! The left over marinade can be used to make vinaigrettes, to marinate chicken (for a short period)! Enjoy!
- 8 cups onions (sliced to approx. 1/4 inch thickness)
- 2 cups white vinegar
- 3 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon yellow mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3 tablespoons yellow mustard (or less, to your taste)
- 1 tablespoon turmeric (safran)
- Put the sliced onions, vinegar, sugar, mustard and celery seeds, and salt in a large metallic pot.
- Cook at medium-high for 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat, and add the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil.
- Gently put the onions in the sterilised jars, and add marinade to cover.
- Seal immediately.
These are really good. I agree the mustard is to taste as mine turned out very good but a bit too much mustard (moreso b/c I am not a big mustard eater) but other than that and of course that is just personal preference these were great. Easy recipe and make for a pretty accompaniment to a picnic.