Prep 15 mins
Cook 4 hrs
This is from an old booklet put out by the Walla Walla Gardeners Association. Walla Walla is in SW Washington state.
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon whole cloves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 medium walla walla onion, peeled and sliced
- 1 medium red onion, peeled and sliced
- Put all ingredients except onions in a saucepan (non-aluminium), cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Separate onions into rings. Place in an oblong baking pan (glass or non-aluminium) or large casserole.
- Pour hot liquid over onions. Cover and chill at least 4 hours.
- Drain and serve.
Wow! these are good! So easy to prepare. I was surprised that the red onions mellowed out during marinating. They were so strong when I was slicing them that I had my doubts. I could only locate jumbo onions in both flavors. So cut my rings in quarters this also made it easier to eat. Thanks mikekey for a wonderful recipe.
mikekey, these are entirely wonderful! Now...that slight dark tinge to the marinade: err, I did not initially read the "whole" part of 1/2 t whole cloves." I did pretty much immediately try to scoop out the ground cloves but was not entirely successful!
Another ten star onion recipe from you! I made these babies yesterday and ate them today for dinner even tho they werent on the menu. We were having pizza and I threw some of these on top on the cooked pizza since I saw them in the fridge and they were so calling my name. Tomorrow I think I am going to add them to my salads and everything else I can find, perhaps ice cream? lol, maybe I wont go that far but you get the idea.