Recipe by Outta Here
This is from an old booklet put out by the Walla Walla Gardeners Association. Walla Walla is in SW Washington state.
Top Review by teresas
Wow! these are good! So easy to prepare. I was surprised that the red onions mellowed out during marinating. They were so strong when I was slicing them that I had my doubts. I could only locate jumbo onions in both flavors. So cut my rings in quarters this also made it easier to eat. Thanks mikekey for a wonderful recipe.
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon whole cloves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 medium walla walla onion, peeled and sliced
- 1 medium red onion, peeled and sliced
Directions See How It's Made
- Put all ingredients except onions in a saucepan (non-aluminium), cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Separate onions into rings. Place in an oblong baking pan (glass or non-aluminium) or large casserole.
- Pour hot liquid over onions. Cover and chill at least 4 hours.
- Drain and serve.