Prep 40 mins
Cook 4 mins
These are great when tomatoes are in season. Prep time includes 30 minutes standing time.
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sugar
- salt and pepper
- 2 tomatoes, thickly sliced
- 1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 12 slices Italian bread
- 12 slices mozzarella cheese
- chopped fresh parsley
- In a bowl, whisk together oil, vinegar, mustard, garlic and sugar.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Add tomatoes and onion and let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes to blend the flavours.
- Drain off the marinade.
- Broil bread slices for 1 to 2 minutes per side or until golden brown.
- Top with cheese and broil until cheese melts and bubbles.
- Divide tomatoes and oil mixture among slices.
- Sprinkle with parsley and serve immediately.