Prep 5 hrs
Cook 0 mins
Plum or Roma tomatoes are best to use in this recipe. Plan head the tomatoes need to chill for a minimum of 4 hours and then left at room temperature for 30 minutes before serving. Try to use only seasoned salt for this, it really improves the flavor of the marinade! Prep time includes chilling time.
- 1 cup vegetable oil (you can reduce the oil slightly if desired)
- 1⁄2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons seasoning salt
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper (use about 1/2 teaspoon or to taste)
- 8 -10 plum tomatoes (choose firm and ripe red tomatoes for this)
- In a bowl combine the oil and remaining ingredients except the tomatoes; whisk to blend well then place in a large heavy zip-top freezer bag.
- Slice the tomatoes into 4 wedges; add to the plastic bag, and seal bag; turn to coat the tomato wedges with marinade.
- Refrigerate for about 4 hours.
- Let sit out at room temperature for 30 minutes before serving.
This was an easy and delicious recipe. I did cut the oil back to 3/4 cup and used cherry tomatoes instead of the romas. I can't wait to try this with fresh summer tomatoes. Made for In Memory of John and Support for Kittencal Cookathon December 2008.
WONDERFUL! I made a half recipe with ripe on the vine Romas. I let them marinate overnight before trying. They really soak up the marinade and pop in your mouth with zesty flavors. Made for 1-2-3 hit wonders.
We love this recipe!! So easy, so excellent. Had it with oven=baked spare ribs and coleslaw. Definately will be a repeat for us!!!!!