Prep 15 mins
Cook 4 hrs
A great tasting fresh tomato side dish for breakfast, lunch or dinner! I am looking forward to making this in the summertime, with fresh garden tomatoes (a combination of red & yellow heirloom tomatoes is my fav). From The Great Tomato Cookbook.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice (or vinegar)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin (optional)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 pinch turmeric (optional)
- 3 tomatoes, sliced
- 1⁄4 cup chopped green onion (or chopped or thinly sliced regular onions)
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- Combine oil, lemon juice, cumin, salt, pepper, sugar and turmeric in screw-top jar. Shake well to blend.
- Place sliced tomatoes on serving plate. Sprinkle with onion and parsley. Pour dressing over. Let stand at room temperature 1 hour, then chill well.
- Makes 6 servings.
- Note: Cook time is stand time, and chill time.
I thought this looked like a great way to enjoy my abundance of garden tomatoes, and it was! It's very cool and fresh-tasting. Store-bought tomatoes just wouldn't be as good for this. I made this as written, including using all the optional ingredients. That little bit of cumin and turmeric really added a special flavor. Thanx for sharing!
Love it! I'm not a big tomato person, but have taught myself to like them in other things to be healthier :) I made these to go with Alton Brown's stove top mac and cheese. It was an excellant combination! I'd made a bit too much of the marinade (as it turned out I had less tomato left than I thought) and where it tasting a little overpowering, the mac and cheese mellowed it while it brought a little something special to the mac and cheese.
Making both again tonight and the husband is quite happy.
This looks awesome! AND I love tomatoes what better way to make them!