Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
What a great way to use up some home-grown tomatoes. My family loves this served with their B-B-Q. If you are having difficulty find the Spanish sherry vinegar, you can use balsamic vinegar.
- 8 roma tomatoes
- 2 small red onions, thinly sliced
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons spanish sherry wine vinegar
- fresh cracked black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup basil leaves
- Cut tomatoes into half and place in a bowl with onion.
- Whisk together the oil and vinegar and pour over the tomatoes.
- Add the salt and pepper to taste and toss salad.
- Cover and leave about an hour at room temperature, tossing salad occasionally.
- Just before serving add the basil leaves and toss salad again.
- Salad is best served at room temperature.
It's tomato and basil season in Australia, so this was a perfect combo for a side dish. Made a smaller batch for two. So delicious, so easy, so fresh, so yum. Thanks for posting.
My Husband is a dedicated tomato fan, he absolutely loved this tomato salad, thanks so much for posting this, I will be making this again and again
This tomato salad is so easy to put together and tastes great. I served with djmastermum's Recipe #328684 and hamburgers DH grilled for supper. Used one small red onion and aged balsamic vinegar instead of the sherry wine vinegar. Not to fond of fresh basil so I used dried. Will be making this again! Thank you Tisme for sharing the recipe. Made and reviewed for the Aussie Swap #31.