Recipe by The Flying Chef
Here is a wonderful steak marinade. Tastes great and is super easy to do. I top steaks with a large mushroom and caramelised onion. On the side fresh asparagus topped with garlic breadcrumbs and chopped eggs.
- 4 (200 -300 g) filet of beef, 200-300g each
- 1⁄2 cup dry red wine
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tablespoons basil, finely chopped
For the Mushrooms
- 4 large flat mushrooms
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder (approximate amount enough to sprinkle over mushrooms.)
- 1 teaspoon lemon pepper seasoning (Again approximate amount.)
- 20 g butter
- 5 -6 small red onions, sliced thinly
- 50 ml red wine vinegar
- 2 -3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 50 g butter
- 500 g asparagus, ends trimmed
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1⁄2 cup breadcrumbs
- 2 hard-boiled eggs, chopped finely
- 2 tablespoons parsley, finely chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine all the marinade ingredients, add steaks cover and refrigerate several hours or overnight. (Preferably overnight turning occasionally).
- Preheat oven to 200°C.
- Place mushrooms in baking dish drizzle with oil, sprinkle with garlic and lemon pepper. Bake, uncovered for about 25 minutes or until tender.
- Melt the butter in a pan and cook onion until soft and browned slightly. Cook stirring occasionally about 20 Min's or until onions are browned and mixture has thickened.
- Cook the steaks on the BBQ, Under the grill of in a large pan until desired doneness. Depending on thickness cooking time will vary, generally, sear each steak 1-2 minutes a side, then cook for a further 4-5 minutes a side for medium rare.
- To serve: Top each steak with a mushroom and a little caramelised onion with asparagus on the side.
- Method for the asparagus:.
- Melt half the butter and honey in a pan, add garlic and breadcrumbs, cook stirring until breadcrumbs are crisp.
- Boil, Steam or microwave asparagus until just tender, drain.
- Serve asparagus drizzled with remaining melted butter and honey, scatter breadcrumb mixture, chopped egg and parsley over the top.