Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
I love hoisin sauce! If it came in a beverage form, I'd probably drink it! This is easy and you don't even have to go outside or start up the BBQ. The flavor in this broiled beauty is awesome. And it comes with it's own salad! You can place the cooked steak slices on a salad, and have it that way. You can also make it into a sandwich. Lots of ideas. Note: Boston lettuce is known for it's curley and very tender leaves. There are a few others, so look for them. They are delicious.
- 1 (1/2 lb) skirt steak
- 3⁄4 cup hoisin sauce
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- vegetable oil, for pan
- 1 head boston lettuce or 1 head other butterhead lettuce, leaves separated
- 3 medium carrots, peeled and cut into julienne strips
- 1⁄2 cup packed mint sprig
- 1⁄2 cup packed basil leaves
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- Rinse steak and pat dry. Place in a heavy-duty resealable plastic bag with 1/2 cup hoisin and the garlic. Seal bag and turn until the steak is coated well. Maintain at room temperature, turning bag occasionally, 30 minutes.
- Preheat broiler. Lightly oil broil pan. Remove steak from marinade (discard marinade) and place on prepared pan. Broil about 4 inches from the heat, turning once, about 6 minutes for medium-rare. Transfer to cutting board and let stand 5 minutes. Cut into thin slices.
- Arrange lettuce leaves on serving plates and fill with steak, carrots, onions,and herbs. Serve remaining 1/4 cup sauce on the side for dipping.