Prep 45 mins
Cook 15 mins
I found the basis for this on the dill package and started playing from there.
- 2 lbs large shrimp, unpeeled
- 2 quarts ice water, with
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt, dissolved in it
- 1 1⁄2 cups mayonnaise
- 1⁄2 cup low-fat sour cream or 1⁄2 cup drained nonfat yogurt (I use my Yogurt Cheese, Yogurt Cheese - 'Labanee', in Arabic for a thicker consistency)
- 1⁄3 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄4 cup sugar, less to taste (start with 1-2 Tbsp, and adjust to taste)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt, to taste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper, plus additional to taste
- 1 large red onions or 1 large other sweet onion, thinly sliced
- 1⁄3 cup chopped fresh dill, more to taste (0.1 oz)
- Rinse shrimp well, soak in cold salted water for 30 minutes.
- Transfer salted water to a large saucepan, and bring to a full rolling boil over high heat.
- Add shrimp, and cook for only 4-5 minutes, just until pink and firm.
- Drain immediately, and cool under cold running water.
- Peel and devein when cool enough to handle, and refrigerate until needed.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together all remaining ingredients until well combined.
- Taste, and adjust seasonings.
- Stir in shrimp until well coated, and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Refrigerate overnight, stirring several times, and serve chilled with toothpicks.