Prep 15 mins
Cook 5 mins
This appetizer can have a nice little kick (or not if you prefer).
- 1 lb large shrimp (uncooked and easy peel)
- 1 -2 cup water (enough water to cover shrimp by one inch)
- 1 medium sized jalapeno (deseeded, deveined, and chopped finely, optional ingredient!)
- 1 garlic clove (chopped finely)
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 2 teaspoons salt (kosher)
- 4 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro (optional)
- 1 teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup seafood cocktail sauce, for dipping
- 1 tablespoon chives (dried or fresh)
- Using a medium sauce pot, place the shrimp in 1 inch (or more) cover the shrimp.
- Bring to a boil.
- Cover and immediately remove from heat. Set aside 1 minute.
- Drain and rinse the shrimp under cold water to stop the cooking and put into a bowl.
- Cut the jalapeños in half lengthwise, devein and deseed. Place in a bowl with the shrimp.
- Toss with 1/2 cup of water, lime juice, cilantro, and salt to taste.
- Cover and refrigerate up to 1 day ahead.
- On day serving, drain the shrimp. Toss with Old Bay if using. Add different sized crackers and a tooth pick. Put dipping sauce beside the shrimp. Sprinkle chives on top.
Delicious! We loved these spicy, and very yummy shrimp. We really enjoyed the addition of the cilantro and jalapeno which kicked the flavor up another notch. Since my family loves both of these ingredients, I was probably a little more generous in the amounts that I used. Other than that, I made the recipe exactly as written, using all of the optional ingredients and marinating the shrimp for about 6 hours. I seved this with my Easy Seafood Cocktail Sauce and my family ate them up in a hurry. I quickly realized that I should have made a double batch. Thank you for sharing this wonderful recipe...it is definitely a keeper!! *Made for 8th Annual Photo Swap*
Made this recipe as part of our dinner, rather than as appetizers, but another time these great little tasties will definitely be on my finger food counter ~ ABSOLUTELY LOVED THEM! I did cut back a little on the mount of jalapeno I used, but other than that, the recipe was followed, optional & all! Did make the cocktail sauce, though! Served with a simple brown rice, this made for a very fulfilling dinner! [Made & reviewed in Every Day Is a Holiday tag]