Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
With a little green veggie on the side (maybe some broccoli), this twist on class meat and potatoes provides a quick, tasty dinner. The steak should marinate at least 30 minutes, which is not included in the preparation time.
- 2 medium shallots, finely chopped
- 1 medium garlic clove, minced
- 59.14 ml balsamic vinegar
- 29.58 ml soy sauce
- 29.58 ml olive oil
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 2 (453.59 g) beef shell steaks
- 14.79 ml unsalted butter
- 9.85 ml olive oil
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, pared, sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 1.23 ml salt
- 0.59 ml fresh ground pepper
- Whisk first 6 ingredients together in mixing bowl. Place steaks in shallow glass baking dish and pour marinade over top. Turn several times to coat completely. Refrigerate covered at least 30 minutes.
- Heat butter and remaining 2 T. oil in large heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Add potatoes and cook, turning frequently, until golden and crisp, about 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and keep warm.
- Heat broiler or grill.
- Broil steaks about 4 inches from heat 5 minutes (or grill); turn and broil second side 3 minutes for medium-rate. Serve at once with potatoes.
What a treat! Marinade was excellent! I did add about an 1/8 teaspoon of salt and pepper, and one more garlic. Obviously this was not New York strip instead it was sirloin-paid $8/ pound for, seems high, but we do not eat beef often in Arizona. Hubby bought the sweet potato, blame it on him, but it honestly is a sweet potato- a white one-tasted same but love orange color. Served with broccoli, salad, and tiramisu. Lovely meal, then sat outside to watch fire and stars. Thank you for post.