Prep 48 hrs
Cook 1 hr
Sonoma Diet, Wave 1.
- 1 lb boneless beef rump roast (rolled and tied)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon kosher salt
- to taste fresh ground black pepper (optional)
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup vinegar
- 1 small medium onion, sliced
- 1⁄4 of a medium lemon, sliced
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 whole cloves
- 2 whole black peppercorns
- Place meat in a large self-sealing plastic bag set in a large, deep bowl.
- For marinade, in a medium bowl combine water, vinegar, onions, lemon, bay leaves, cloves, peppercorns, and the 1/4 teaspoon salt.
- Pour over meat; seal bag.
- Marinate in the refrigerator for 2 to 3 days, turning bag occasionally.
- Drain meat, reserving marinade.
- Sprinkle meat with kosher salt and pepper.
- For a charcoal grill, arrange medium coals around a drip pan.
- Test for medium-low heat above the pan.
- Place meat on grill rack over drip pan.
- Cover and grill for 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 hours or until meat is tender (160°F), brushing occasionally during the first 15 minutes with reserved marinade. (For a gas grill, preheat grill. Reduce heat to medium-low. Adjust for indirect cooking. Grill as above.).