This is Italian all the way, and super delicious! Cook time includes marinating time. This recipe can be used in a Lite-Bleu meal plan. All Lite-Bleu recipes are complete meals that we designed for our weight loss diet.
- 1 eggplant, trimmed and cut lengthwise into 1/4-inch thick slices
- 2 zucchini, cut lengthwise into 1/4-inch thick slices
- 1 red bell pepper, roasted and cut into wide strips
- 1 yellow bell pepper, roasted and cut into wide strips
- 1 small fennel bulb, cut lengthwise into 1/8-inch thick slices
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil, to taste
- 6 large garlic cloves, sliced thin
- 2 teaspoons fresh parsley, minced
- 2 tablespoons italian seasoning
- 1⁄2 cup black olives, diced and pitted
- 1⁄4 cup white wine vinegar
- salt, to taste
- black pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 500°F
- Arrange vegetables on a baking sheet and brush both sides.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Place in oven and roast for 7 to 8 minutes on each side, or until golden brown.
- When vegetables are cool enough to handle begin layering using a springform pan that has a sheet of parchment paper on the bottom.
- Place eggplant in the bottom of the dish, drizzle with some olive oil, and add some of the garlic.
- Add some of the fresh herbs, and then some olives.
- Sprinkle a little vinegar on top and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Continue to layer vegetables, along with seasonings, adding the peppers next, and then fennel, and finally the zucchini.
- Cover with plastic wrap and let chill at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Release pan and use the parchment to carefully slide onto a serving platter.
This was delicious! A great starter or included in a summer barbeque or Italian themed dinner party. I would love to try it with butternut pumpkin next time and a little feta sprinkled inside. But definately a dish I will do again (when I have the time!!) when the weather is warm and there are lots of people to enjoy this scrummy Italian stack. Thank you!
Delicious! I served this as an appetizer and it was a big hit. I especially loved the flavor of the fennel! After roasting and with a little salt and pepper it was very good. I also enjoyed the fresh herbs, and would recommend using fresh. Made for Photo Tag.