Recipe by Gorona Filo
Marinated Raw Fish In Coconut Cream, is one of a kind in Samoa, well if you like raw fish with it's rich taste of coconut milk, then you'll like this.:) enjoy.
Top Review by HangiMonster
I absolutely love this recipe, but have a couple of variations that i like to use. Instead of just lemon or lime i like to use even amounts of both, this gives the added acidity of the lemon, and the subtle flavour of the lime. I prefer to "cook" the fish in the lemon/lime mix for a minimal amount of time, normally around 20mins, but maximum of an hour, before draining 3/4 of the juice and adding the coconut milk. Instead of onion i like to use thinly sliced spring onion, i also like to add diced yellow capsicum to the seeded tomatoes and cucumber. Depending on my mood i sometimes use the lite coconut milk, because the full fat stuff is really high in saturated fats, nicer, but really bad for you.
- 500 g white fish fillets
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup lemon juice
- 1⁄2 lemon, sliced
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 400 ml coconut cream, if it's not too rich or 1⁄2 cup coconut cream, if it's rich
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut fish into cubed pieces.
- Sprinkle with salt then lemon juice.
- Cover and chill for 2 hours or overnight or until fish whitens, stirring occasionally.
- Put in onion, coconut cream, tomatoes and cucumber, and garnish with 1/2 lemon slices.
- Serve chilled.