Prep 10 mins
Cook 3 hrs
Marinated Raw Fish In Coconut Cream, is one of a kind in Samoa, well if you like raw fish with it's rich taste of coconut milk, then you'll like this.:) enjoy.
- 500 g white fish fillets
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup lemon juice
- 1⁄2 lemon, sliced
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 400 ml coconut cream, if it's not too rich or 1⁄2 cup coconut cream, if it's rich
- Cut fish into cubed pieces.
- Sprinkle with salt then lemon juice.
- Cover and chill for 2 hours or overnight or until fish whitens, stirring occasionally.
- Put in onion, coconut cream, tomatoes and cucumber, and garnish with 1/2 lemon slices.
- Serve chilled.
I absolutely love this recipe, but have a couple of variations that i like to use. Instead of just lemon or lime i like to use even amounts of both, this gives the added acidity of the lemon, and the subtle flavour of the lime. I prefer to "cook" the fish in the lemon/lime mix for a minimal amount of time, normally around 20mins, but maximum of an hour, before draining 3/4 of the juice and adding the coconut milk. Instead of onion i like to use thinly sliced spring onion, i also like to add diced yellow capsicum to the seeded tomatoes and cucumber. Depending on my mood i sometimes use the lite coconut milk, because the full fat stuff is really high in saturated fats, nicer, but really bad for you.
Yum! This is my favourite way of having marinated fish. I like to add some grated lemon rind in as well. Thanks for sharing :)
This is wonderful just like my Mum used to make. perfect for a summer BBQ where you need to bring a salad