Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
In India, white radish (daikon or 'mooli') is used widely. To eat white long radish with lemon, salt and pepper is a sweet reminder of sunny winters in North India. You may use white or red radish. It should preferably be made fresh or one day in advance and refrigerated. From the cookbook 'Recipes with a Spice - Indian Cuisine for Balanced Nutrition'. Visit www.healthyindiancuisine.com
- 1 lb radish, grated or finely chopped
- 4 chopped green chilies (to taste)
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- Mix everything together except salt in a small bowl or jar.
- Let it marinate, covered, for about 1 hour.
- Mix the salt few minutes before serving.
We ended up adding more salt and lemon to this at the table. It was refreshing with the salt and lemon, crunchy, and went well with our curry, rice and pappadams. A great change from our tomato/cucumber/yoghurt side dishes we eat with our curries. I'll be making this as often as I can-daikon is not all that common in our supermarket here.