Recipe by alijen
I simply could not get enough queso fresco while in Costa Rica this summer. Its similar to mozzarella in flavor, but firmer and very versatile. It is also called farmer's cheese and is available in most grocery stores. A great little snack or appetizer- try it with other Mexican-themed dishes!
Top Review by heatherhopecs
Yum yum! I doubled this recipe using the 2-lb pack of queso fresco from Costco (such a good deal) and served it at my 2013 Superbowl party. Delicious! Some folks said it tasted like pizza, others thought it had a nice spicy kick to it... but everyone seemed to enjoy it. I thought it was a nice, unexpected little appetizer and very easy to make.
- 1⁄2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme
- 1 clove minced garlic
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1 lb queso fresco
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut the Queso Fresco into 3/4-1 inch cubes.
- In a large, shallow dish, combine all ingredients except cheese.
- (If you want, you could throw them in the food processor for ease).
- Stir to combine.
- Then add the cheese, toss to coat.
- Let stand at room temp for 2 hours before serving.
- However, this can marinate for up to 3 days in the fridge.