Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
A different type of potato salad. It is slightly sweet. I have a favorite recipe with mustard, but sometimes, this just seems appropriate. Cook and prep time does not include 12 hour marinating time.
- 10 lbs potatoes
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup white wine vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup white sugar
- 1 bunch green onion, sliced
- 3 hard-boiled eggs, diced
- salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon celery seed
- 2 cups mayonnaise
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
- Add potatoes and cook until tender but still firm, about 15 minutes.
- Drain and allow to cool.
- Slice cooled potatoes and layer in a large bowl or dish.
- In a saucepan combine water, vinegar and sugar.
- Bring to a boil and cook for one minute.
- Remove from heat and pour over potatoes.
- Cover and chill for at least 12 hours.
- Drain excess marinade and add onions, eggs, salt, pepper, celery seed and mayonnaise.
- Mix well and serve chilled.
This was a huge hit at a recent cookout. My teenage nephews and their friends especially enjoyed this salad. I made as directed, but at Ms. Bold's suggestion cut the ammount of sugar in half. Thanks for a tasty slightly different potato salad. I made the entire recipe and was left with an empty bowl!
This is quite different from my usual potato salad and I wasn't sure about the sugar in this one. But it was an excellent salad. I made it with 1 pound of potatoes and 1/4 measures of all the other ingredients as there are only two of us. If your meal plan could use a bit of sweet and savory, then this will fill the bill nicely.