Prep 15 mins
Cook 8 hrs
very low-calorie, refrigeration time is overnight, and standing time is 30 minutes.
- 4 cups baby sweet peppers
- 1⁄2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3 ounces baby mozzarella cheese (balls)
- 1⁄4 cup fresh small basil leaves
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- Preheat broiler to high.
- Arrange the baby peppers in a single layer on a foil-lined jelly roll pan, and broil peppers for 4 minutes on each side or until blackened and tender.
- Cool, Combine peppers, olive oil, garlic cloves, lemon rind, red pepper, salt,and mozzarella balls, and toss.
- Cover, and refrigerate overnight, tossing after 6 hours.
- Let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Stir in basil leaves, and lemon juice before serving.
- Serve with a slotted spoon.
I loved this! Love colored bell peppers. Flavor combination is perfect and and prep is very easy. Served with asparagus, recipe#36375, roasted asparagus, and recipe#21881. Thank you for sharing.
Wow, what a great recipe and low carb as well! It's also a wonderful hot weather meal addition....I made this in the evening, after the sun lost it's punch, and we had it the next night for dinner, along with grilled pork chops. So quick, easy and delicious. We're having the leftovers with grilled fish tonight...can't wait! Thanks so much WC for posting this recipe :)
OH WOW this recipe is crazy good! I used a red and yellow bell pepper cut into large chunks (grocer didn't have any baby sweet peppers) and cut small pieces from a larger ball of fresh mozzarella. Each of these ingredients perfectly compliments the others; the sweet peppers and creamy cheese are delightful, you get the great flavor of the crushed red pepper but it's not really spicy, and the little bit of lemon juice and zest gives a nice brightness. Served this with crusty bread, salad, and wine of course ;) I'd give more than 5 stars if I could - thanks for sharing a keeper!