Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
Adding tomatoes to an old favorite gives it a whole new twist. This is a great side dish for a summer time barbeque.
- 1 large sweet onion, sliced (1015's or Vidalia type)
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ripe tomatoes, sliced
- 1 cucumber, peeled and sliced
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄4 cup wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄4 cup fresh basil, chopped
- parmesan cheese (optional) or crumbled blue cheese, for garnish (optional)
- Place half of the onion rings in a large, shallow casserole. Layer the tomato and cucumber slices over the onion and top with the remaining onion rings.
- In a small bowl, combine the oil, vinegar, mustard, salt, pepper and sugar. Whisk.
- well to blend. Pour over vegetables.
- Top with fresh basil. Cover and let marinate several hours in refrigerator.
- Top with cheese before serving.