Recipe by Hey Jude
Easy, casual appetizer to serve with cocktails! Recipe from the Chicago Sun-Times FOOD section.
- 3 cups mixed whole unpitted olives, such as kalamata,nicoise and picholine
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 3 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons fennel seeds
- 2 slices orange zest, colored portion only
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 clove garlic, slivered
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lemon juice
Directions See How It's Made
- Place olives in a 1-quart glass or ceramic jar and set aside.
- In a small saucepan, combine oil, thyme, rosemary, fennel seed, zest, pepper flakes, bay leaf and garlic; heat on very low for 10 minutes.
- Pour oil and seasonings over olives; add lemon juice and close the jar.
- Turn a few times to distribute the seasonings; let cool to room temperature.
- Store in the fridge for no longer than 4 days Before serving, bring olives to room temperature and drain off most of the oil.