Prep 10 mins
Cook 5 mins
Leave on the stems for little serving handles. Something different for the condiment tray to suprise your friends with! From Nathalie Duprees Southern Memories Cookbook.
- 2 lbs okra
- 1⁄4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 small grated orange, rind of (no white attached please)
- 3 teaspoons fresh orange juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- salt and pepper
- Steam or blanch the okra for 3-5 minutes.
- Plunge into cold water-drain and set aside.
- Combine the vinegar, oil, mustard, orange peel, juice, cumin, salt and pepper.
- Whisk well, pour over okra and marinate several hours or overnight.
- Drain and arrange on a serving platter to be eaten as finger food.
Simple, and a nice balance of flavors. I would use this more as a summer snack, something to grab out of the refrigerator when you want something to eat but you can't decide what it is. I found it difficult to drain enough to get something workable for finger food. It might work better with very small okra.
This is a great way to use up those mass quantities of okra that show up in the summer. This was good, but I wanted more of a "pickle."