Recipe by rangapeach
This is an adopted recipe and should be made with larger, older, not itty bitty baby octopus. The flavour of vinegar and lemon here are strong and not to everyone's taste. If you are fond of tako sashimi, this is not for you. But if Mediterranean fish salads are your thing, this is authentic.
Top Review by cherokeebob69
Terrible. The result was tough as a bicycle tire and the lemon flavor was overwhelming. After three bites I sent the whole thing down my disposal. I wondered about the amount of lemon juice called for before I began, but I went ahead anyway. My mistake. Octopus is seafood and seafood 'cooks' in citrus juice. Even 3 hours is too much time in this marinade. By the time I put the octopus on the grill it had already toughened up. Cooking it only made things worse. Forget this one. And if you are wondering, yes, I used baby octopus, and, no, I did not overcook it. It was only in the heat for 5 minutes.
- 2 medium octopus
- 1 cup olive oil
- 1 cup wine vinegar
- 1 large onion
- 1 tablespoon Greek oregano
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons rosemary
- 1⁄2 cup lemon juice
Directions See How It's Made
- Place octopus in a large pan with plenty of water and boil for 2 hours.
- Remove from heat; wash and remove the skin.
- Cut in desired size pieces.
- In a bowl, combine all the ingredients, except the lemon juice, and add octopus.
- Mix well; cover; and refrigerate for several hours or overnight.
- When ready to serve, stir in the lemon juice.