Prep 5 mins
Cook 5 mins
A great beginning, middle or end to any African Meal.
- 1 teaspoon whole cumin seed
- 1 tablespoon cracked coriander seed
- 1 tablespoon red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons mint, freshly chopped
- 1 lemon, zest of
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 1 lb east african variety olive
- combine everything in a glass jar.
- add the olives and toss to coat.
- refrigerate for 3 days.
- lasts for 3 weeks in the refrigerator.
It will be hard to wait 3 whole days until "ready"! I tried them just after the preparation and the spice/herb combo is sooo delicious!
I will use the juice for salad, too pity to throw this away.
Done with green olives and green pepper as aI had these on hand!
Thanks a lot for posting this recipe!
Wonderful olives! Quite different from the French Provencal olives I'm used to but VERY good. Love the lemon flavor and the zing from the chili, mixed with the mint - delightful blend of flavors. In fact I used fresh red chilis because I have so many that have to be used up. Also I didn't use African olives, I think, they seem to be Italian or Greek, but at least they're black :D
Will definitely make this again! Thanks for posting. Made for Ramadan Tag 2010.