Prep 2 hrs
Cook 15 mins
Pickled shellfish- washes down good with a pint!
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 1⁄4 cup onion, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 lbs mussels, cleaned
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon, rind of, grated
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- lemon wedge
- Bring white wine and onion to boil.
- Add mussels, cover and steam until mussels open, about 5 minutes.
- Discard any mussels that do not open.
- Transfer mussels to plate.
- Reserve cooking liquid in saucepan.
- Heat olive oil in skillet.
- Add minced garlic and saute for 2 minutes.
- Add seasonings and cook 1 minute.
- Add mussel cooking liquid, vinegar, paprika, lemon peel and cayenne.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Pour into large bowl.
- Remove mussels from shells and add to bowl; reserve 1/2 of each shell.
- Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Arrange mussel shells on platter.
- Place 1 mussel in each shell.
- Pour marinade over.
- Garnish with lemon wedges.