Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
This recipe is from "The Italian Collection" - Food and Wine Books. You may make this with all-white mushrooms, but varied mushroom types such as fresh Shitakes or other earthy wild mushrooms are preferred to enhance flavor and texture.
- 78.07 ml extra virgin olive oil
- 3 shallots, minced
- 453.59 g white mushroom, quartered
- 453.59 g shiitake mushroom, stems removed and caps quartered
- 59.14 ml balsamic vinegar
- 2 large red bell peppers
- 14.79 ml chopped fresh marjoram
- 4.92 ml salt
- 4.92 ml fresh ground black pepper
- 1 bunch arugula, stems removed (about 2 ounces)
- In a large heavy frying pan, heat the oil over moderate heat.
- Add the shallots and garlic, reduce the heat to low, and garlic, reduce the heat to low, and cook, strring occasionally, until softened but not browned, about 5 minutes.
- Increase the heat to moderately high and add the white and shiitake mushrooms, stirring well to combine.
- Cover the pan and cook, stirring once, until the mushrooms are slightly softened, about 4 minutes.
- Uncover, increase the heat to high, add the balsamic vinegar, and cook for 1 minute.
- Spoon the mushroom mixture into a large bowl and let it cool to room temperature, strring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, roast the peppers over an open flame or broil, turning with tongs, until charred all over, abut 10 minutes.
- When cool enough to handle, pull off the skin.
- Remove the stems, seeds, and ribs.
- Cut the peppers lengthwise into 1/2 inch strips.
- Add the roasted peppers to the mushrooms.
- Stir in the marjoram, salt, and pepper.
- Cover and refrigerate the mixture until ready to serve.
- To serve, arrange the arugula leaves on a large serving plate and spoon the mushroom salad on top.
- Serve chilled or at room temperature.