Larame and Pandi Spence's Note:
This recipe is from "The Italian Collection" - Food and Wine Books. You may make this with all-white mushrooms, but varied mushroom types such as fresh Shitakes or other earthy wild mushrooms are preferred to enhance flavor and texture.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 shallots, minced
- 1 lb white mushroom, quartered
- 1 lb shiitake mushroom, stems removed and caps quartered
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 large red bell peppers
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh marjoram
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 bunch arugula, stems removed (about 2 ounces)
- 1In a large heavy frying pan, heat the oil over moderate heat.
- 2Add the shallots and garlic, reduce the heat to low, and garlic, reduce the heat to low, and cook, strring occasionally, until softened but not browned, about 5 minutes.
- 3Increase the heat to moderately high and add the white and shiitake mushrooms, stirring well to combine.
- 4Cover the pan and cook, stirring once, until the mushrooms are slightly softened, about 4 minutes.
- 5Uncover, increase the heat to high, add the balsamic vinegar, and cook for 1 minute.
- 6Spoon the mushroom mixture into a large bowl and let it cool to room temperature, strring occasionally.
- 7Meanwhile, roast the peppers over an open flame or broil, turning with tongs, until charred all over, abut 10 minutes.
- 8When cool enough to handle, pull off the skin.
- 9Remove the stems, seeds, and ribs.
- 10Cut the peppers lengthwise into 1/2 inch strips.
- 11Add the roasted peppers to the mushrooms.
- 12Stir in the marjoram, salt, and pepper.
- 13Cover and refrigerate the mixture until ready to serve.
- 14To serve, arrange the arugula leaves on a large serving plate and spoon the mushroom salad on top.
- 15Serve chilled or at room temperature.
Browse Our Top Mushroom Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Mushroom Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Marinated Mushrooms With Roasted Red Pepper and Arugula
Serving Size: 1 (240 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 274.2
- Calories from Fat 172
- Total Fat 19.2 g
- Saturated Fat 2.5 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 606.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 21.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.8 g
- Sugars 10.7 g
- Protein 7.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: