Prep 8 mins
Cook 30 mins
Before posting this, I checked out the many and varied recipes for marinated mushrooms on Zaar. What variety! There must be a marinade to pamper the whims of every Zaar palate. If you are reading this recipe, I'm assuming that you like mushrooms or that someone you are planning to cook for likes mushrooms. So what about the key ingredients in THIS marinade: basil, garlic, balsamic vinegar, reduced salt soy sauce, honey and extra virgin olive oil. Love this combination and you'll undoubtedly love this recipe. If you recoiled from one or more of the ingredients, there are some fifteen other recipes you can check out. I love mushrooms and I love this as a marinade for mushrooms. I have served it as an entree at a dinner party several times and it's always elicited favourable comments - and requests for the recipe - and I've eaten it as a light lunch with slices of red capsicum, cucumber and olives and crusty Italian bread. I have adapted this recipe from one I found about eighteen months ago in a magazine: 'Super Food Ideas'. I used to buy my marinated mushrooms in a European deli near where I live, but this recipe is so much better. As well as being tastier, it's quick to make, and making a dish is always more satisfying than buying it ready-made. If you try it, I hope you like it.
- 200 g button mushrooms, quartered
- 250 g swiss brown mushrooms or 250 g oyster mushrooms or 250 g shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tablespoons basil leaves, roughly torn
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed and finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons reduced sodium soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 4 iceberg lettuce, trimmed
- Combine the mushrooms in a bowl.
- Combine basil, garlic, vinegar, soy sauce, honey and oil and, once well-combined, pour over the mushrooms.
- Toss the mushrooms well in the marinade until you are satisfied that all are covered with the marinade. Cover and set aside for 30 minutes.
- Prepare the lettuce cups by removing the core, then placing the lettuce into a bowl of iced water. The individual leaves will then be easier to separate.
- Spoon the mushroom mixture into the lettuce cups, and distribute any remaining marinade evenly over the four serves.
- Chef's Note: The 'cooking time' is the time needed for the marinade to really settle.
I really enjoyed this recipe! I halved it and it was so simple. Very tasty and I will make it again! Love it as a light snack or lunch.
I'm not really a big fan of mushrooms but hubby loves them so I made these for him, I tried a couple myself & they're not too bad, this is a great simple recipe & I think I'll add them to my next antipasto platter. Thanks!
Used only one clove of garlic and let it set for over an hour to let the flavors develop. Otherwise, made the recipe as written. This is excellent. I love marinated mushrooms and have never seen this combination of ingredients before. Thanks for posting.