- 2⁄3 cup olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 2 lemons, juice of
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 garlic cloves, bruised with the flat of a knife
- 6 peppercorns
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 lb small whole fresh mushrooms
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine the oil, water,lemon juice,bay leaf, garlic, peppercorns and salt in a 10-12 inch stainless steel skillet, and bring to a boil over moderate heat.
- Reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Strain this marinade through a sieve and return it to the skillet; bring to a simmer over low heat.
- Drop the mushrooms into the marinade and simmer, turning them over from time to time, for 5 minutes.
- Let the mushrooms cool in the marinade. Serve them at room temperature or, after they have cooled, refrigerate them and serve cold. (The mushrooms will keep in the refrigerator at least 2 days.).
- Before serving, lift the mushrooms out of the marinade with a slotted spoon, draining them carefully, and arrange them on a platter or in a serving bowl.