Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
A simple dish that can be served as a part of a salad spread or as an antipasti dish. Any varieties of mushrooms can be used. Use a large saucepan to cook the mushrooms. Needs at least a few hours refrigerated before serving.
- 2 lbs mixed mushrooms (roughly 1 kg)
- 1 red chili
- 1 cup olive oil, use a good quality oil
- 1⁄4 cup white balsamic vinegar or 1⁄4 cup white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary or 1 tablespoon oregano
- Wipe the mushrooms wiht damp kitchen paper. Set aside.
- Cut the red chilli into half lenghwise. Remove the seeds (discard). Cut the chilli into thin strips. Set aside.
- Heat 5 tablespoons of the oil in a large saucepan, then add the mushrooms and cook, stirring, until the juices have evaporated.
- Add the chilli strips and cook, stirring, for a further 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in the vinegar and season with salt to taste.
- Tip the mushrooms into a bowl, then stir in the rosemary or oregano sprigs. Pout over the remaining oil.
- Cover with clingfilm and leave to marinate at least a few hours or overnight before serving.
These mushrooms are wonderful! I used the oregano option and it was great with the light spice of the red pepper. Served as a side to grilled chicken and it was light and delicious - thanks for sharing the recipe!