Recipe by cajun chef in Louisiana
Cooking the mushrooms really gets the marinade and spices in the shrooms. These are always a hit served as an appetizer at a get together.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs fresh white mushrooms
- 1 1⁄2 cups white vinegar or 1 1⁄2 cups wine vinegar
- 1 cup Italian dressing
- 1 teaspoon oregano (any spice can be substituted, I'd like to try dill next time)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a non-aluminum saucepan, combine vinegar with 1 1/2 cups water and heat to boiling.
- Add cleaned mushrooms (clean with damp cloth, not water so they don't absorb the water);.
- boil 2 minutes.
- Drain and reserve 1/2 cup reserved cooking liquid.
- Cool mushrooms for 1 hour.
- Mix the 1/2 cup reserved liquid with the Italian dressing and seasoning; pour over cooled mushrooms.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- I prefer them warm but they are also delicious cooled.