Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
This recipe makes a Tomato, a Basil and a Yoghurt Marinade for fresh mozzarella. I have only tried the basil and almond marinade myself so far and really enjoyed it. All three were written as one recipe, so I thought I might as well post them all. From 'Meine Familie & Ich', a German food and cooking magazine. It's perfect served with toasted chiabatta or foccacia bread.
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 44.37-59.16 ml olive oil, good quality
- 396.89 g can chopped tomatoes
- 88.74 ml orange juice
- 29.58-44.37 ml white wine vinegar
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 177.44 ml fresh basil (1 bundle)
- 14.79 ml ground almonds
- 59.16-73.94 ml olive oil, extra virgin
- 14.79 ml white wine vinegar
- 255.14 g plain full fat yoghurt
- 14.79 ml olive oil, good quality
- 29.58-44.37 ml lemon juice
- Tabasco sauce, to taste
- sugar, to taste
- 453.59 g fresh mozzarella cheese, preferably buffalo mozzarella
- For the Tomato Marinade: Heat 3-4 tbsp oil and sweat the onions and garlic until golden but not brown. Add orange juice, tomatoes and 2-3 tbsp of vinegar.
- Simmer for approx 10 minutes and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Allow to cool.
- For the Basil Marinade: Trim the basil and discard any stalks.
- Puree the basil, almonds, 4-5 tbsp olive oil and 1 tbsp vinegar in a blender.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- For the Yoghurt Marinade: Whisk the yoghurt together with 1tbsp olive oil, lemon juice and a couple of dashes of tabasco (to taste). Season with salt and a pinch of sugar to taste.
- To finish: Divide the mozzarella into three bowls, and cover with a different marinade each.
- Chill for thirty minutes.
I used the Basil Marinade which was plenty for 1 pound of cheese. I used balsamic vinegar. As I was making it was thinking garlic would be great in it but didn`t. And I didn`t miss it! This was wonderful 3 of us ate the whole delish pound of cheese enjoying every slice.