Recipe by -Sylvie-
This recipe makes a Tomato, a Basil and a Yoghurt Marinade for fresh mozzarella. I have only tried the basil and almond marinade myself so far and really enjoyed it. All three were written as one recipe, so I thought I might as well post them all. From 'Meine Familie & Ich', a German food and cooking magazine. It's perfect served with toasted chiabatta or foccacia bread.
Top Review by Rita~
I used the Basil Marinade which was plenty for 1 pound of cheese. I used balsamic vinegar. As I was making it was thinking garlic would be great in it but didn`t. And I didn`t miss it! This was wonderful 3 of us ate the whole delish pound of cheese enjoying every slice.
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 -4 tablespoons olive oil, good quality
- 1 (14 ounce) can chopped tomatoes
- 6 tablespoons orange juice
- 2 -3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 3⁄4 cup fresh basil (1 bundle)
- 1 tablespoon ground almonds
- 4 -5 tablespoons olive oil, extra virgin
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 9 ounces plain full fat yoghurt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, good quality
- 2 -3 tablespoons lemon juice
- Tabasco sauce, to taste
- sugar, to taste
- 1 lb fresh mozzarella cheese, preferably buffalo mozzarella
Directions See How It's Made
- For the Tomato Marinade: Heat 3-4 tbsp oil and sweat the onions and garlic until golden but not brown. Add orange juice, tomatoes and 2-3 tbsp of vinegar.
- Simmer for approx 10 minutes and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Allow to cool.
- For the Basil Marinade: Trim the basil and discard any stalks.
- Puree the basil, almonds, 4-5 tbsp olive oil and 1 tbsp vinegar in a blender.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- For the Yoghurt Marinade: Whisk the yoghurt together with 1tbsp olive oil, lemon juice and a couple of dashes of tabasco (to taste). Season with salt and a pinch of sugar to taste.
- To finish: Divide the mozzarella into three bowls, and cover with a different marinade each.
- Chill for thirty minutes.