Recipe by Krsi Sue
I've been trying to create different recipes using those luscious Morel mushrooms that we hunt for in the spring. This can be made using fresh mushrooms (cleaned and soaked to remove critters) or by using re-hydrated dried Morels. You can also use store boughten mushrooms that are not Morels. I use rice vinegar, but this would taste great with other vinegars as well.
- 2⁄3 cup vinegar
- 2⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄4 cup onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- salt, to taste
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon sugar or 1 teaspoon Splenda sugar substitute
- 1 teaspoon basil, crumbled
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 2 cups carrots, sliced and cooked
- 1 (14 ounce) can artichoke hearts, drained and quartered
- 1 1⁄2 cups morels, halved
- 1 cup black olives, halved
- 1⁄4 cup sweet red pepper, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine the first 9 ingredients in a pan and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to low and simmer, for 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine carrots, artichoke hearts, mushrooms, olives and pepper.
- Pour hot dressing over vegetables and stir.
- Cover and chill for several hours.
- Stir occasionally while chilling.
- When serving, drain liquid.