Prep 24 hrs
Cook 40 mins
This is a great dish for a romantic summer dish. Elegant, aromatic and full of flavor. I often double the marinade and boil it for a au jus type gravy for the meat. And when served with roasted garlic mashed potatoes it is a flavor enhancement. great for OAMC and you can get some spring lamb on sale!
- 5 lbs boneless leg of lamb, butterflied flat
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 large lemon, juice of
- 1 large lemon, rind of, of sliced thin
- 1 tablespoon dried rosemary or 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 8 garlic cloves, diced
- 2 tablespoons oregano or 4 sprigs fresh oregano
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons basil or 5 leaves fresh basil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 cup dry red wine
- Combine marinade ingredients and place in bag with lamb.
- Let rest overnight. or place all in a freezer bag remove all air and freeze, while thawing overnight in fridge it will marinate itself.
- Preheat grill or coals, place grill on lowest level.
- Place lamb on grill.
- Brush with sauce.
- Grill 20 minutes, turn cook additional 15-20 minutes for slightly rare lamb.
- Remember to use twice as much fresh as dried herbs.
- Serve with roasted garlic mashed potatoes.
I made this tonight for two other couples who have never had lamb. I doubled the marinade except for the dried spices and lemon rind. Had a smaller butterflied leg so only had to grill 10 minutes per side. EXCELLENT! Boiled the leftover marinade to serve on the the side for sauce. Printed out the recipe for both couples to take home!
Fantastic marinade! I doubled the recipe and let it marinate for about 24 hours before roasting ( I definitely want to try grilling it next time). It was absolutely outstanding. Thanks for the awesome recipe, I will definitely be making this again!
Awesome,awesome! Also super on chicken for the grill! I always double the marinade to boil and serve with pototoes.