This recipe is a signature dish at Vij's Indian restaurant in Vancouver BC. It is one of the best restaurants I have ever eaten at.
For the popsicles
- 2 -3 french cut racks of lamb (with the bone cleaned down to the chop)
- 1⁄4 cup white wine
- 1⁄4 cup grainy yellow mustard
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
For the Curry Cream
- 2 tablespoons crushed garlic
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 liter whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon dried fenugreek leaves (known as 'kasuri methi')
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon paprika
- Cut the racks of lamb into the'popsicles' by slicing the chops in between the bones.
- Mix the white wine, mustard and salt together in a large bowl, then add the popsicles, turning to coat them on all sides.
- Cover and set aside in the refrigerator for a couple of hours.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the whipping cream, salt, paprika, cayenne, fenugreek flakes and lemon juice.
- In a medium-sized, heavy pot, sauté the crushed garlic in the canola oil.
- Once the garlic is golden in colour, add the turmeric, stir and heat for one minute.
- Add the whipping cream mixture, stir and heat on low to medium heat for a few minutes.
- (the water in the whipping cream will evaporate, thickening the sauce. If your heat is too high, the cream will separate.) If making the sauce a day ahead, let the garlic mixture cool completely, then add to the cream mixture and refrigerate.
- Thicken the sauce close to serving time by heating gently.
- Grill the popsicles just before you are ready to serve your meal.
- You can either pour the cream curry over the grilled popsicles or use it as a dipping curry for them.