Prep 20 mins
Cook 6 mins
This is the most beautiful salad ever!! It's simple to prepare and tastes incredible.
- 3 -4 lamb fillets (back straps are fine too)
For the Marinade
- 4 tablespoons ketjap manis (sweet Indonesian soy)
- 1 -2 crushed garlic clove
- 2 teaspoons grainy mustard
- 2 shallots, finely sliced (optional)
- 1 sprig rosemary, leaves only, roughly chopped
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme leaves
- 1⁄2 fresh red chile, finely chopped
- salt & fresh ground pepper
For the Salad
- 100 g mixed lettuce leaves
- 100 g semi dried tomatoes
- 1⁄2 red onion, finely sliced
- feta cheese (type and amount optional)
- 1 fresh mango, flesh from
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Remove sinew from Lamb fillets and cut to size. About 8-10cm in length is perfect.
- Combine ingredients for the marinade and pour over lamb making sure fillets are totally coated. Marinating for a minimum of 2-3 hours is preferable. Overnight even better.
- Place lamb in a hot non stick pan or griddle (save as much of the marinade in the bowl as possible) and cook on a medium heat turning only once for around 2 minutes on each side. Medium rare is best. There is no need to oil your pan.
- Remove from pan and allow to stand for 3-4 minutes before slicing. This will allow enough time to toss your salad.
- Combine salad ingredients saving half the feta and drizzle with a little olive oil. Top with sliced lamb fillets and pour the remaining marinade over the top. Crumble remaining feta as a garnish and serve.
Oh my goodness, it's a shame more people haven't tried this because it was fantastic! The marinated lamb was so delicious that I was tempted to eat it as is without making the salad at all, but I'm sure glad I did. This salad was an explosion of flavors- really unique and fantastic. One thing I must say though is before you use any raw meat marinade as a dressing you MUST cook it for a few minutes to kill the bacteria! Not doing so is a clear invitation for Salmonella.. which would be a shame after such a delicious meal. The only other thing I changed was to add some fresh baby spinach for a nice dark green color and extra vitamins. Superb!! Thanks, Darren.
I have never tasted lamb like this before! Unbelievable! I made the salad for my friends and now they all want to try it... Easy to make, ingredient combinations are fantastic and a quick meal. What more could anyone want?