Recipe by Pets'R'us
This cooking method results in very moist meat. Marinating the beef in the herb mixture makes it even better. It works with other types of beef roasts too. You will need a meat thermometer but could also cook it approx 18 minutes per LB for rare and a few minutes more for medium. Include the standing time with the cooking time.
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons mustard (I use Dijon)
- 1⁄4 cup onion (minced or grated)
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- ground black pepper
- 4 -6 lbs beef rib roast
- 3 lbs kosher salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix together the oil, mustard, onion, garlic, thyme , oregano, basil and pepper.
- Spread onto the roast and marinate this for several hours or over-night.
- Preheat oven to 400F and line a roasting tin with foil.
- In a large bowl mix the salt with some water, adding more water to make a paste or a slush that will stick onto the beef, don't make it too wet.
- Use approx 1 cup of the slush to make a base in the roasting tin.
- Pat the roast dry with paper towels and put it on top of the salt layer.
- Insert thermometer in the thickest part of the beef and pack the remaining salt arround the meat to seal it.
- Roast for approx 1 1/2 to 2 hours until the thermometer reads 140 degrees for rare or 160 for medium.
- Let stand 10 minutes, crack, remove and discard the salt crust.