1/2 Photos of Marinated Ham & Swiss Buns Appetizer
1 hr 5 mins
Chef Shadows's Note:
SOURCE PEGGY TROWBRIDGE. Plan on making a double batch for any party or occasion, especially Superbowl. Even guys ask for the recipe. Marinated ham and Swiss buns make a killer appetizer, and better yet, you can make them a couple of days in advance before baking. The cooking time does not include the overnight marination.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup butter
- 1/4 cup sweet onion, minced
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons hot mustard or 2 tablespoons spicy mustard
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 1Line two 9 x 13-inch baking pans with non-stick foil or butter traditional pans.
- 2To prepare marinade, saute minced sweet onion in butter over low heat until onion is soft and translucent.
- 3Add poppy seeds, garlic powder, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, and brown sugar.
- 4Stir until brown sugar is melted into the sauce.
- 5Remove from heat and stir in parsley.
- 6Set marinade aside.
- 7Slice the buns in half.
- 8Spread bottoms of buns with a thin layer of horseradish mayonnaise.
- 9Fold ham slices to fit the bottom of each bun.
- 10Repeat with Swiss cheese slices, folding to fit buns.
- 11Replace bun tops.
- 12Place ham and cheese buns into prepared baking pans.
- 13Pour marinade evenly over both pans of buns.
- 14Cover tightly with foil. Refrigerate overnight.
- 15Preheat oven to 350°F
- 16Bake marinated buns covered for 25 minutes.
- 17Remove foil and bake an additional 10 minutes.
- 18Notes: Use pre-baked dinner rolls.
- 19If you make your own yeast dinner rolls, all the better.
- 20If you're on a budget, adjust this method to use large yeast hot dog rolls, cut into thirds (you may need to adjust the baking time).
- 21Horseradish mayonnaise is easy to make at home, but there are decent commercial varieties to use as a shortcut.
- 22You can use regular mayonnaise if you need to avoid horseradish.
- 23For the ham, I used a rosemary sun-dried tomato deli ham, but feel free to use your favorite.
- 24Just be sure it is sliced very thin and use a high-grade, low-moisture ham for best results.
- 25Yield: 24 appetizer servings.
Browse Our Top Ham Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Marinated Ham & Swiss Buns Appetizer
Serving Size: 1 (97 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 24
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 318.6
- Calories from Fat 182
- Total Fat 20.2 g
- Saturated Fat 11.1 g
- Cholesterol 62.3 mg
- Sodium 641.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 19.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.3 g
- Sugars 3.6 g
- Protein 14.8 g