Prep 24 hrs
Cook 30 mins
This is the recipe I use when I grill a whole salmon on the BBQ... it is awesome! The salmon must be left in the fridge overnight to marinate. It is not hard to butterfly a salmon, I have stated complete instructions on how to do it this below. You will love this salmon recipe, but gotta be made with the rye whiskey, nothing else works as well!
- 1 whole salmon, butterflied
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons brown sugar (use only brown)
- 1⁄2 cup rye whiskey
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon pepper
- 2 -3 minced fresh garlic cloves
- To prepare and butterfly salmon: Remove head, tail and fins from the salmon.
- Run a sharp knife down backbone until salmon opens flat.
- Remove backbone.
- If you desire you can scrape some of the scales from the salmon's skin.
- Wash the salmon well with very cold water; pat dry with a paper towel.
- Place fish flesh-side down in a dish, large enough to hold the length and width of the butterflied salmon.
- Combine all marinade ingredients; mix well and pour over the salmon in the dish.
- Cover and place in the fridge overnight or until ready to grill.
- When ready to grill, remove salmon from the marinade.
- Place skin-side down on heavy-duty foil, or if you are lucky enough to have a special fish grilling utensil, the kind that locks the fish in between two metal sides, you can use that also.
- Grill until flesh is "opaque" and the salmon flakes easily (about 20-30) minutes.