Prep 5 mins
Cook 0 mins
My parents were taught as a child in Cyprus how to prepare their own olives, it's a long process but this is worth it. The raw green olives are split in half with a special stone but seed still intact, this allow the brine (salty water) to soak into the olives. The olives are then jarred with the brine and stored away for months. This recipe is not that process but it's the way it's marinated for Mezze's. Measurements are for personal preference only, you could use less lemon if you don't prefer it to be tangy. Enjoy
- 200 g green olives, large size
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 1 tablespoon coriander seed, which has been crushed with a mortar and pestle
- 1⁄8 teaspoon red chili pepper flakes (optional)
- Place green olives, olive oil, garlic, lemon juice, crushed coriander seeds and chilli (if you are using it) in a bowl. Mix well.
- Serve with slices of bread (to soak the juices), tomatoes, feta cheese or fried Haloumi cheese, Hummus dip and pickled vegetables.
- Olives to be eaten within three days or flavour will change dramatically.
These are excellent and chock full of flavor that would enhance any Mediterranean or Middle Eastern meal. Thanks for sharing this easy and wonderful recipe. Everyone enjoyed. ~Sue
Just wonderful. If you like coriander, you'll love these!
The ultimate olive. This yummy version of Kibrisli style olive is absolutely driven to get into your stomach as quickly as you pop one or two in your mouth to enjoy the burst of flavor, slightly dressed with the brine of the lemon, red chili pepper flakes, (always the option here!) and coriander seed. I let this sit and "stew" for about 1 day,the flavors were perfect married together, and I wish, oh how I wish, I could of stopped eating them. I served them to Dennis as is fashionable on an hot July afternoon with a bit of French bread to slurp up the brine. Couldn't of asked for any better olives then I if I was in Italy myself. Thank you, Chef floWer~ Made for *ZWT4* July 2008.