Prep 15 mins
Cook 5 hrs
Nice, tangy cool side dish for hot summer days.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs green beans, trimmed
- 1 small thinly sliced sweet onions or 1 small you could use 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1⁄4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup white vinegar
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄8 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- Cook green beans in boiling water for 4- 5 minutes until tender, but still crisp.
- Drain, immerse in ice water till cool. Drain.
- Whisk vinegars, sugar, EVOO, salt and pepper together in a serving bowl. Add onion and green beans, stir together.
- Marinate in refrigerator for at least five hours. Shake it up once in awhile. Over night is even better.
I used less onion & it was a sweet onion, just what I had on hand.m I added 1 chopped zucchini. We loved it! Marinate overnight
This is a wonderful way to use up some of the overabundance of the summer garden. I used one shallot finely chopped instead of the onion, and a little less sugar (I'm trying to cut back but most people would like it as is). And it only gets better the longer it sits.
Very good! Made as written except for using 2 large cloves of garlic. Will defiantly be a staple this summer. Thanks for posting