Top Review by Gay Gilmore (ckpt)
I didn't have grapefruit on hand, but used orange and onions and cilantro in the salsa. Thought the marinade could have had a bit more effect on the meat -- I didn't taste it much. Still, the dish turned out well. I also sauted some onions, orange, red and green peppers with a little cumin and garlic to make mini-tacos. Would make it again.
- 3⁄4 cup frozen orange juice or 3⁄4 cup grapefruit juice concentrate, thawed
- 1 -2 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 3 lbs flank steaks
- 1⁄4 cup green onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons parsley, snipped
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 dash salt
- 2 oranges, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 1 grapefruit, peeled, seeded and chopped
- to taste jalapeno pepper (optional)
- 1 grapefruit, sliced (optional)
- 6 tortillas, warmed (6-inches)
Directions See How It's Made
- For marinade, in a small bowl combine thawed orange or grapefruit juice concentrate, finely chopped jalapeno pepper, black pepper and paprika. Reserve 2 tablespoons of the mixture of salsa.
- Add the water to remaining mixture.
- Score steak by making shallow cuts at 1-inch intervals diagonally across steak in a diamond pattern. Repeat on second side.
- Place in a plastic bag set in a shallow dish. Pour marinade over steak; close bag. Marinate in the refrigerator 2 to 24 hours; turn bag occasionally.
- For salsa, in a nonmetallic bowl stir together the 2 tablespoons juice concentrate mixture, the onions, parsley, lime juice and salt. Add chopped oranges and grapefruit; stir gently.
- Cover and chill at least 30 minutes to blend flavors.
- Remove meat from bag. Discard marinade. Place meat on the grill rack of an uncovered grill.
- Grill directly over medium coals, turning once, allowing 12 to 14 minutes for medium-rare.
- Thinly slice meat. If desired, garnish with jalapenos and grapefruit slices. Serve with salsa and warmed tortillas.
- To Broil: Place steak on the unheated rack of a broiler pan. Broil 3 inches from heat for 6 minutes.
- To warm tortillas, stack them and wrap in foil. Heat in a 350 degree oven for 10 minutes.