Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
This recipe is from the Washington State Beef Commission. It is excellent on sandwiches the next day, so I usually make two!
- 1 1⁄2-2 lbs flank steaks
- 1⁄4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh coarse ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1⁄3 cup blue cheese, crumbled
- 3 tablespoons salted butter, room temp
- 1 tablespoon prepared horseradish
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- salt & pepper
- Trip steak of any excess fat or silver skin.
- Place steak in large zip lock bag.
- Combine marinade ingredients and pour over steak.
- Close bag& press out any air.
- Move steak around in the bag to marinate.
- Refrigerate over night, or at least six hours.
- Mix schmear ingredients in a small bowl until smooth.
- Refrigerate schmear.
- Bring schmear to room temperature one hour before serving.
- Prior to cooking, remove steak from marinade& drain well.
- Grill steak over HOT fire, about 5 minutes a side for rare.
- Place steak on a platter with the side just off the grill up and IMMEDIATELY top with the schmear.
- Spread schmear over steak.
- Let rest 10 minutes before serving.
- Thinly slice at an angle across the grain.
- Spoon sauce& juices back over meat when serving.
If I wasn't already in stinky cheese rehab, I'm on my way there now! This was divine! The blue cheese schmear is so amazing -- I've found myself making it for other meats as well.
We loved the marinade (4 hours) and Schmear. I've decided I am not a fan of flank steaks, they are too iffy and rarely turn out as tender as I would like. I cooked on a stovetop grill pan and they did turn out pretty well. An outdoor grill would be best but unfortunately the weather did not cooperate. This marinade & Schmear would be great on any steak. Served with sautéed mushrooms, sautéed haricot verts, baked potatoes and buttered egg noodles for the tater haters. Thanks for posting!
I used NY strips and this was excellent. So nice and easy. I did not grill the steaks but cooked in a cast iron skillet because it was too cold out. Yummy. Loved the schmear. I do again. Thank you. P.S. I had extra schmear left over and used it on toast. So good.