Prep 8 hrs
Cook 10 mins
Copped from Martha Dibblee at allrecipes.com, who got it 30 years ago from her butcher Harry, at Eastmoreland Grocery. She says, "It's easy to make, uses ordinary ingredients, and is delicious barbequed or oven broiled." I reduced the oil from 1/2 cup (!) to 2 Tbsp and added a splash of rice wine.
- 1⁄4 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons rice wine or 2 tablespoons sherry wine
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons distilled white vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 1⁄2 lbs flank steaks
- In a blender, combine the soy sauce, rice wine, honey, vinegar, ginger, garlic powder, and vegetable oil.
- Pierce both sides of the steak several times with a sharp fork. Place steak and marinade in a large zip-top bag. Squeeze out the air, shake and turn several times to thoroughly coat the steak, and refrigerate 8 hours or overnight.
- Preheat grill or broiler on high heat. Place grate on highest level, and brush lightly with oil. Place steaks on the grill, and discard marinade. Grill steak for 10 minutes, turning once, or to desired doneness.