Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Coconut Marinated fish taken from a recipe found in NZ's Cuisine magazine.
Make and share this Marinated Fish in Spices, Red Onion & Coconut recipe from Food.com.
- Cut the fish into bite-size pieces and place in a glass or stainless steel bowl.
- Squeeze the lemons and then cover the fish completely with the juice. (You may need more than 4.)
- Sprinkle with salt and gently mix.
- Cover well and refrigerate for at least 12 hours.
- Heat the peanut oil in a small frying pan, add the cardamom and caraway seeds and fry them gently for 1 minute.
- Then add the sliced onion and fry for 5 minutes over gentle heat, stirring often, and taking care not to brown the onions.
- Remove from the heat and cool.
- When the fish is well marinated in the lemon and the flesh has turned opaque, drain well, discarding the salty lemon juice.
- Place fish in a clean bowl and add the spice and onion mixture, coriander and coconut cream.
- Stir through gently and season to taste if necessary.
- Cover and return to fridge for at least 2 hours.
- Bring to room temperature and serve as an appetizer or an entrée course with a little green salad.